The ABA TECHSHOW is the biggest legal industry conference of the year. It brings together thousands of lawyers and technology providers from all over the world. Attendees spend three days learning how legal tech can help them practice more effectively and serve clients with the most advanced standards.
The annual ABA TECHSHOW in Chicago offers a great deal of knowledge in a short period of time. With a working game plan, you can make the most of your experience and not waste any of your time.
Make a Plan
Start with ABA tech show schedule. With 7 – 8 events scheduled for each time slot, you’ll need to choose carefully. Find the schedule that best fits your knowledge-building strategy and bring your comfortable shoes — you’ll want to get to popular events early for a good seat.
In an ideal world, you’d download the ABA TECHSHOW Conference App to select your schedule, set reminders, and connect with other attendees. (Too bad the App couldn’t make it to the 2020 TECHSHOW; it’s still on the 2019 version.)
Pick from the Knowledge Tracks
Each track addresses a different area of knowledge:
- Artificial Intelligence: AI is not the future; it’s now. How will it impact the legal profession in the near future?
- Automation: Harness tech to accomplish all kinds of tasks, and better manage your time. (That’s what we’re here for.)
- Client Attraction and Experience: Attract new clients with technology that will help you maintain existing relationships so you can build a successful practice backed by a great reputation.
- Litigation: Designed especially for trial lawyers, this knowledge track helps you use technology to enhance your courtroom performance.
- Cybersecurity: Learn to keep confidential client data and proprietary information safe from internal and external threats.
- Core Concepts: Run a digital practice with the knowledge of legal tech fundamentals at your disposal.
- Next 20: Find out what the future holds with forward-thinking discussions about the coming 20 years in the legal world.
- UnTrack for Doers: Add your voice to the discussion with audience-driven conversations fueled by personal experiences and knowledge.
- Saturday Workshops: Practice your new knowledge with hands-on experience in online tools and social media.
See Keynote Speaker at ABA TECHSHOW 2020
The ABA tech show features outstanding keynote speakers every year. This year’s is Mary O’Carroll, the Director of Legal Operations, Technology, and Strategy for Google. Her session, happening in Grand Ballroom EF, is titled: “What Everyone Needs to Know About the Direction of the Legal Industry.” From the vantage point of the world’s foremost technology company, O’Carroll will discuss the direction of the industry and legal tech operations.
Meet, Greet, and Make an Impression
Networking is incredibly important in the legal field, and the Expo Hall at the ABA tech show is a prime spot to meet movers and shakers. Swap business cards and grab dinner.
- Steak at Prime & Provisions
- Cafe and bakery Beatrix – River North
- American food at The Smith
- Mussels and beer at Fisk & Co.
- Rooftop dining at Cindy’s
- Seafood at Luke’s Lobster (Chicago City Hall)
Taste of ABA TECHSHOW
The ABA also facilitates dinner outings with fellow TECHSHOW attendees. From the official website, you can choose a restaurant and a host when signing up for get-together dining experiences. You’ll meet with your fellow guests at the expo hall and walk to your venue of choice together. Here are our top picks from the official list:
- Italian food at Acanto
- German at The Berghoff
- New American at The Gage
- Neighborhood noodles at Ramen-San
- New Asian at Sunda
Get Close to the Tech
When it comes to interacting with vendors, it is important to know what your firm needs. The vendors at the ABA tech show are sales representatives for innovative solutions that can help your firm become more productive and profitable. Figure out your needs and seek vendors best positioned to help you achieve your goals.
Stop by the PracticePanther booth so we can personally introduce you to our billing, time tracking, client intake, and general practice automation solutions.
Be Ready for ABA TECHSHOW 2020
The ABA TECHSHOW is an opportunity for you to discover the newest and most useful legal technology while connecting with thought leaders in the tech and legal fields. It’s a perfect opportunity to share your ideas and pain points directly with the people who may have solutions already in the works.
The knowledge you share with the right connection may impact a whole new generation of digital innovation for your profession. The best tip we can share is: be ready. Know your firm’s tech needs and weak areas, and be prepared to articulate your best ideas. Also: bring breath mints and don’t lose your phone charger.
Latest posts by Reece Guida (see all)
- How to Manage your Law Firm Remotely During COVID-19 - March 17, 2020
- New Conditional Workflows Make Case Management Easier - February 25, 2020
- 2020 ABA TECHSHOW Guide - February 23, 2020