- Firm Name & Slogan: Perkins & Perkins, PLLC
- Location: Murfreesboro, Tennessee
- What does your firm do? We are a general practice firm offering services in all major areas. Our primary area of practice is Criminal Defense.
- How did the firm start and how did it grow? I always dreamed of being able to work with my children. This dream was realized with my oldest son when my wife and I helped him purchase and operate a restaurant. About five years ago, my younger son, Drew, told me he was going to law school and for me to get ready, because when he graduated, we were opening a firm together. That dream was realized on May 1, 2017 when, after 34 years of practice, over 27 years of which were in the Public Defender’s Office, I retired to open Perkins & Perkins, PLLC, with him. I now am in the enviable position of being able to tell my law partner every day that I love him, and now, more than any other time in my life, I look forward to coming to the office every day and I almost hate to leave at night.
- How did you do things before PracticePanther and how has PracticePanther helped today? Having worked for the Public Defender’s Office for almost 28 years, a lot of what I was doing as far as management was what I would call “old school.” In other words, I used a lot of legal pads and paper. Very little was automated, and since I was assigned cases, there was no need to track time. In short, it was kind of the same thing as when I first started practicing law in 1983.
Practice Panther has been a lifesaver for me. It has made it so simple to track everything I need to for all my cases. I looked at several different law office management systems, but decided to try Practice Panther because they offered a free trial, and because everywhere I checked their ratings were the highest from the people using it–a very important thing for me. After using it for just a few days, I knew I was going to stay with it. The system is very intuitive and I caught on very quickly, mostly because of the wonderful tutorials. I was asked to schedule an on-line informational meeting with a representative, and was pleasantly surprised that instead of trying to sell me the product, he spent the whole time showing me features and how to use them. That did it for me, and I signed us up, getting a nice discount and he even locked me in so that if the price ever goes up, I pay the same thing. I was told that I could get training for free at any time, and, almost immediately after I signed up, I got an email to set up a time for an initial training session.
All of my cases are now in the system, and I am loving it! I’ve also been able to create forms that I need for my practice which are set up to auto-fill from client intake information, and it also syncs all my case information with my calendar. I truly don’t know what I would have done without Practice Panther being there to help in starting this new practice.
- What is your favorite thing about PracticePanther? The true answer to this question would be “everything!” If I had to pick one thing so far, it would be the ability to customize the system to your particular needs instead of a one-size-fits-all system.
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? Easy. Get this system. You will not regret it.