- Firm Name & Slogan: Williams Family Law – You are ready to adopt • I am ready to help
- Location: Topeka, Kansas
- What does your firm do? Williams Family Law Practice is a boutique family law firm located in the heart of Topeka’s College Hill neighborhood that is dedicated to adoption and adoption related matters. I represent both birth families and adoptive families on their adoption journey.
- How did the firm start and how did it grow? I chose to focus my practice on adoption because I have a personal connection, having been adopted myself as an infant, and am now in a place to give back some of what has been given to me. As an adult I can look back and see all of the opportunities afforded me by my parents and can only hope to help others create the same love-filled life for themselves.In the time since opening the firm I have worked in many areas of adoption. These include: Adult Adoption, Adoption from Foster Care, Step Parent Adoption, Relative Adoption, and LGBT/Second Parent Adoption. I have also added Guardianships to my areas of practice as many times this helps a family provide security and permanency for a child.Most recently, I’ve been working more with assisting birth parents in their preparation of a birth plan for the child they intend to place for adoption without the assistance of an agency. Many expectant parents choose a private adoption in order to have control of their adoption plan and to consider families across the country. Having their own lawyer helps ensure their rights are protected.
- How did you do things before PracticePanther and how has PracticePanther helped today? Originally I used DropBox to organize my client information and files. This was not idea, as security is always an issue. I moved on to a different practice management software but found that the integration aspect was lacking. PracticePanther provides the security and integration that makes things move along smoothly.
- What is your favorite thing about PracticePanther? I like being able to automate my documents. I’ve just started uploading all of my regularly used documents for ease of use.
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? I would advise that any firm, no matter the size, try this software out.