- Firm Name & Slogan: The Law Offices of Patrick Cordero, PA- Attorneys at Law
- Location: 7333 Coral Way (SW 24TH Street) Miami, FL 33155
- What does your firm do? Our firm concentrates on giving the best personal service for those in need of debt relief, such as consumer chapter 7 and chapter 13 bankruptcy, debt solutions, debt negotiations, and civil defense representation. Moreover, we also provide legal services in the area of Real Estate and Family law.
- How did the firm start and how did it grow? I have always believed that to make anything work, you had to make it a business model or plan. At my early stages, I set up my practice so it handles a large volume of clientele, with the personal attention and cares every client needs and deserves. For my first several years, it was a trial and error sort of process, and it didn’t help that I would explore into other areas of law that I was not quite comfortable in, but at the end, it worked. I can say that my determination not to give up at times was the key. I just keep believing in the system. Between the second and third year of my practice, I hired my first associate. I used that extra time to develop my marketing plan and expansion plan. I knew that the key was personal service and client referral. I have and still make it a point to make sure every client leaves happy or at least satisfied as what could have done in their case. Currently, over 85% of my client base is from client referrals. Since then, we have grown to employ 9 attorneys, 2 attorneys of-counsel, and over 48 staff members.
- What were some of the challenges after starting your firm? I can fairly say the biggest challenges that I was faced with was competition and practicing law not knowing what is going to happen tomorrow. There is always competition in any area you practice, and at times, having competition is good. At times, competition actually made me work harder to be the best possible lawyer I could be but most importantly, having compassion and patience with each and every client. Once a client sees that they want to refer you more clients because you care and actually listen to their problems. As to the unknown of tomorrow, I just kept my focus on my business plan, make a law practice a business venture, and not try to make a business practicing law.
- What role has technology played in launching and growing your firm? After over 28 years of practicing law, and making my law firm the top 3 consumer bankruptcy filing firm in the nation, has been a roller coaster ride, but I can honestly say the technology and marketing have surpassed all of my expectations in the role it plays with all lawyers across this nation. I still remember when the Yellow Pages was it. It was the only marketing tool and the best way to advertise your firm. Now, the Yellow Pages is now nowhere near the top choice in marketing because technology has taken over to produce fast and efficient communication with the consumers. As an attorney, I recognized that we all have to use all available tools to be useful to the public, but also be competitive. At this point, I make it part of my business plan to adjust my advertisement scheme and goals to use marketing technology for my benefit.
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? If there is one advice to anyone with regards to this question, is to keep focus as to who you are targeting and using the best marketing median available. Second, every practicing attorney who runs a law firm needs a website. I have seen attorneys who want to grow, yet, when I look them up, I can’t find anything on them because they do not have a website to use a base for their services. Lastly, marketing your firm does not mean only the internet, use paper medians such as magazines, local newspapers, etc.