- Firm Name & Slogan: Indie Law – Empowering Your Creative Passions
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- What does your firm do? We work with creative small business owners to protect their passions and give them the legal foundation they need to thrive. With our innovative year-long plans and flat-fee packages, we focus on the legal issues that matter most to creatives: trademarks, business formation, copyrights, and contracts.
- How did the firm start and how did it grow? After working at a litigation firm for 2 years after law school, Joey eventually confronted a harsh reality — he was a lousy courtroom attorney.As a natural peacemaker with a kind heart and a big smile, confrontation made him overly anxious and stressed. After a lot of soul searching and mentorship, Joey launched Indie Law: a law firm built from the ground up with creative small businesses in mind.With this niche practice, Joey’s perceived weaknesses in the courtroom have proven to be invaluable strengths. Kindness, peace of mind, and thoughtfulness are at the center of Indie Law. In the year and a half since it started, Indie Law has already served over 100 creatives. The “Friends of Indie Law,” a Facebook group managed by the firm, is over 7,000 members strong and growing.With the help of PracticePanther, Indie Law is growing into a trademark firm with national recognition that is a resource for passionate and profiting creatives.
- How did you do things before PracticePanther and how has PracticePanther helped today? Thanks to having great legal and business mentors, Joey had a keen focus on building smart systems and processes from day one. As the volume of clients grew, however, the strength of those systems and processes were tested. Rather than having a series of tools and apps that were communicating with each other, Joey realized that having one centralized hub to work out of would be invaluable to the business.Being able to manage tasks, track time, monitor leads, message clients, send invoices, process intake forms, access client files, and automate templates — all within one app — has been incredible. Among other benefits, it has drastically minimized the time that was lost from bouncing from platform to platform and becoming distracted by new information.
- What is your favorite thing about PracticePanther? Customer Service! The team is incredibly responsive and helpful. Our business model is pretty unique, but at every turn their support team has helped figure out how to best make PracticePanther “purr” with our particular needs.
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? If you complain about being a lawyer or feel like you’ve gone so far down this specific career path that you can’t change directions, I’ve been there. Please know that it’s never too late to practice law “on your own terms.” Find a way to make being a lawyer something you love doing. Don’t be afraid to reach out for help or admit you want to change things.