- Firm Name & Slogan: TaxAtoll.com | Professional. Discrete. Secure
- Location: Harpswell, Maine U.S.A.
- What does your firm do? TaxAtoll.com is a tax services firm specialized in U.S. expatriate tax reporting and advisory, streamlined disclosure, retirement planning solutions for expats. We prepare forms 1040, 3520/3520 Foreign trusts, 8621 PFIC, 5471/8865 CFC corporation and partnership returns and other. We advise U.S. persons in the Czech Republic, and Czech investors in U.S.
- How did the firm start and how did it grow? TaxAtoll.com evolved out of doing favors for friends and business partners while I was doing interim finance manager projects for clients in different industries during 2004-2006. Later, after forming a Czech accounting services firm for U.S.-controlled businesses in Czech Republic, the demand for tax services by U.S. expats resident there sky-rocketed. Local tax and accounting professionals remain generally ill-trained and unfamiliar with the reporting needs of U.S. expats. U.S. expats were looking for a one-stop, English-language solution to tax reporting that took into account also the operational needs of their businesses. Because I speak and write Czech fluently, I often provide assistance in client negotiations with local government officials and connect them to other professionals I know to deliver reliable, high-quality work. FATCA, PFIC, CFC and Foreign trust reporting is a big deal for Americans abroad, and few do these returns well, even in the U.S. There was no other U.S. tax provider on the ground in the Czech Republic at the time TaxAtoll.com emerged, and to this day there still is no one that brings together the U.S./Czech statutory knowledge, experience, language skills and focus on operations better than TaxAtoll.com.
- How did you do things before PracticePanther and how has PracticePanther helped today? I used to use a generic CRM/client for email and workflow, excel to track billable time, and various encryption/archive applications (including Dropbox) to deliver documents and information securely. PracticePanther has helped me bring all of that into one application except the email client. Excluding perhaps some specialized tax problem resolution apps that do only this kind of workflow, there is hardly another tax firm solution out there that can offer what PracticePanther offers me.
- What is your favorite thing about PracticePanther? The secure message and file-sharing portal without a doubt has provided me the most critical value enhancement to clients this year. And I see so many avenues for developing it further.
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? I would urge business owners to find a CRM/workflow solution that currently resolves the most important functionality they need to get their job done, and modify their business processes to take up that solution to the maximum level possible. Avoid manual work, avoid paper, simplify. Look for synchronization/integration between best practice apps. Avoid apps that try to provide it all – they will never deliver anything really well. For me, PracticePanther delivered secure file sharing and messaging (with soon!) integration to Xero. Work with your provider to develop the functionality you need; if they cannot or will not do it, you need to continue the hunt.