- Firm Name & Slogan: RCM Law Office LLC
- Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico
- What does your firm do? Our main objective is to provide creditor’s with a cost effective representation in bankruptcy cases before the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Puerto Rico, but we also have experience in real estate, commercial financing and secured transactions. I am also providing collaboration with other lawyers, without them incurring in additional work space or having them worried about having additional work after a specific project is finished.
- How did the firm start and how did it grow? Rebeca Caquías-Mejías, Esq., CPA after 15 years as an attorney in one of Puerto Rico’s largest and oldest law firms, Fiddler, Gonzalez & Rodriguez, LLC, who filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy petition in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Puerto Rico on May 16, 2017, I decided to stay in charge of my future and founded RCM Law Office LLC. My background is that I have practiced law in Puerto Rico specifically in real estate, commercial financing, secured transactions and creditor’s rights. RCM Law Office LLC is a virtual/boutique law firm with main offices in San Juan, Puerto Rico which provides creditors with a cost-effective representation in bankruptcy cases before the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Puerto Rico adhering to ethical and honest business practices. My objective is that being a small law firm we can control our rates, while not affecting the quality of the services provided, I have secured all the software and tools required to provide a competitive and lower rates to my clients. After being in a law firm for 17 years, 15 of them as an attorney, we should not rely on how things have always been done. At the end, of working in a big law firm, most of my work was performed through my cell phone and internet … then why have all this office space that did not seem to be required? If I need to meet a client I go to their office, which they seem to prefer anyways! At RCM Law Office LLC we are devoted to offer the highest level of customer care, recognizing that timely response is essential as well as offering a cost effective representation.
- How did you do things before PracticePanther and how has PracticePanther helped today? Working on a big law firm we had an accounting department, accounts receivable person, we were provided with our time sheets in paper….over 400 papers to review on a monthly basis. I had also a paralegal whose only work was to provide instructions to another department to create the client…I can go on with examples with how many people where required to do the work, obviously my volume is slower and it did not seem cost effective to have different people doing the work I needed, nor for me to do things how they were previously done. By chance I discovered Practice Panther, I created a form that I just send it by text to my new client, they fill out on their cell phone and the client is created, their folder is created in my virtual files and I do not need an additional person. I can do my timesheets on my cell phone, which was never permitted in the big law firm, so I never forget to include my time and expenses. When I finish a project I just review and prepare the invoice without printing out anything, the program provides to identify nonbillable work, so the client is aware of the work performed that he is not being billed, I could not do that with the law firms’ program.
- What is your favorite thing about PracticePanther? My favorite thing about PracticePanther is their customer service and having the app in my phone.
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? My advice is that the way things have been done for a lot of time is not necessary the most cost effective. I am aware we may be drown in work but take time in looking at new services, software they really can make a difference in the world we are living in…don’t be afraid of change.