- Firm Name & Slogan: MIA Contract Lawyers
- Location: Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia – Carlton being a northern inner-city suburb of Melbourne
- What does your firm do? MIA Contract Lawyers is a boutique commercial practice, specialising in procurement and distribution, with extensive experience in the pharmaceutical industry, building and construction, automotive, retail and the franchise sector in general. Our practitioners have highly developed skills in negotiation strategy, having acted for clients that include the Northern Territory government.
- How did your firm start and how did it grow? MIA Contract Lawyers was founded in October 2010 by its founding partner, Martin Algie. Having spent 20 years working in some of the leading law practices in Melbourne, Martin established this firm, based in part on the work generated by its leading client, Apotex Proprietary Limited, the leading generic pharmaceutical supplier in Australia. Beginning in 2014, significant resources have been devoted to promoting the practice, with a view to moderate to rapid expansion. This has succeeded in expanding the client-base materially, facilitating a corresponding expansion staff. MIA Contract Lawyers now includes a small, but tight team of senior practitioners, led by Martin Algie, that team bringing complimentary skills and experience to the table, including insolvency, corporate governance and litigation. Looking forward, the practice is expecting organic growth in excess of 20% in the next quarter and in excess of 50% in the next 6 to 12 months.
- How did you do things before PracticePanther and how has PracticePanther helped today? Before adopting Practice Panther, we were using a generic project management system called Projecturf. That system is slightly simpler than PracticePanther; however, that simplicity brings with it deficiencies in some of the added benefits PracticePanther offers. The major deficiency is that Projecturf is not specifically designed as a practice management system for law firms. There were a number of workarounds possible to make Projecturf serviceable, but that was never going to be adequate in the longer term.
- What is your favorite thing about PracticePanther? Our favourite aspect of PracticePanther is the granularity with which we can control information about our clients and prospects. This was not possible under our previous system.
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? The advice I would offer other lawyers and firms concerns marketing. I’ve heard it said that perseverance is the key in marketing. To an extent, that is correct. However, having devoted now three years to the marketing of this firm, I’ve also realised that finding an avenue that works and persevering with that is the key to success. We have had significant success with a Google ads campaign in the franchise sector. That has produced a number of clients and, despite the cost, is producing a profit, even without considering repeat work. I could list a number of failed marketing projects that have cost a considerable amount of money. Success comes from dispassionately assessing those projects and determining whether they should be shut down. We have also had significant recent success by joining up with a legal aggregator – the challenge there is the competition from others bidding for the same work. Success here I believe comes from finding a business model that makes client acquisition at a cut rate profitable. We have decided that this can occur only through repeat business and only by building value for the client in that repeat business, and it is in respect of that value that we can make significant margin.
Follow MIA Contract Lawyers: