- Firm Name & Slogan: Law Office of Edward W. Neufville, III, LLC
- Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
- What does your firm do? We solve problems and find solutions. We are a full-service U.S. immigration and international law firm. Our firm’s goal is simple. We provide excellent and competent legal services to corporate and individual clients on their immigration and international matters.
- How did the firm start and how did it grow? After graduating from Washington and Lee Law in 2003, I opened my practice in Baltimore in 2004. With my client base expanding, I moved my office to Silver Spring in 2006.
Initially, I belonged to Civil Justice, a network of small to mid-sized legal practices in the Baltimore area that offered affordable legal representation to those in need. Through this network, I obtained additional mentoring and also build my practice.
Today my practice consists largely of immigrants seeking work visas and citizenship, in addition to helping large non-profit humanitarian groups obtain visas for overseas workers.
In 2006 I represented a Burmese client seeking asylum over ethnic and religious persecution. Homeland Security officials opposed her application on grounds that she had donated money to an armed “undesignated terrorist group” in Burma. What they didn’t mention was that the group, the Chin National Front, was a pro-democracy opposition group fighting ethnic persecution. I eventually won the asylum for my client, gathering press coverage from The New York Times and National Public Radio. As a direct result of the case, Congress amended a section of the Patriot Act to remove the Chin National Front from its list of terrorist organizations.
- How did you do things before PracticePanther and how has PracticePanther helped today? Before PracticePanther, I used several applications, programs and legal software to get the job done. When I received a payment, I would enter the information in Quickbooks, and then enter it into my legal software program. I had difficulties accurately tracking my time and organizing my trust account became a nightmare for both me and my bookkeeper. Out of frustration, I mentioned to my bookkeeper that I needed something that meshed all my applications and processes together and allowed me everything in one snap shot. She recommended Practice Panther and voila, everything began to make sense.
- What is your favorite thing about PracticePanther? PracticePanther is by far the most simplest software that allows attorneys to keep an accurate account of time, money, and allows you to efficiently monitor and supervise your employees. I can see what my legal assistant or paralegal is doing without interrupting their workflow or my workflow.
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? Think outside of the box. The world is changing. Change or become dinosaurs.