- Firm Name & Slogan: Kai Jacobs PA “Write your own rules.”
- Location: 2222 Ponce de Leon Boulevard, Coral Gables, Florida 33134
- What does your firm do? Business litigation and counseling. I spent the first 24 years of my career litigating business disputes in state and federal courts at the trial and appellate levels. I recently expanded my range of services to help clients prevent, avoid, or limit litigation by helping them manage their intra- and inter-corporate relations and create and use the right documentation for their business.
- How did the firm start and how did it grow? I grew up in small and big law firms. None of them got it right when it came to leveraging technology to be efficient, cost effective, and deliver a quality service to clients. I took a personal interest in the technology side of the law business a few years ago and was blown away by all of the efficiencies that lawyers who had been around the block a few times were not using. In fact, it was stunning to see how much of the business of law was changing right under our very noses and how slowly lawyers seemed to be in catching on. I was determined not to be one of them. So, just this week, I left the practice I had been with for the last eight years and started Kai Jacobs PA so I could focus on offering a quality legal service consistent with the needs of clients in the twenty-first century.
- How did you do things before PracticePanther and how has PracticePanther helped today? For too many years, I worked with paper. Law firms, being notoriously late adopters, used paper files and records even when they had software that let them manage files paperlessly. When I left big firm life, I learned that so much of the software out there for lawyers that let them operate paperlessly was still tied to land-based servers, was out of date, and was prohibitively expensive. So, I made due with iManage or PerfectLaw and counted the unbelievable amount of time I spent as a date entry clerk trying to input the information instead of working on or in my legal practice.
- What is your favorite thing about PracticePanther? I love that it is accessible anywhere from any device. And, because it is the whole package of law firm management it means I can access any information at any time, from anywhere. No more, “I don’t have that in front of me. Let me get back to you.”
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? Learn to embrace change. Lawyers too often think of themselves as the gatekeepers of arcane and unchanging principles of law. But the world changes, the law changes with it, and the scope of information available to clients today gives them a level of sophistication we need to understand and appreciate.