- Firm Name & Slogan: GunterFirm – Dedication, Determination, Proven Results
- Location: HQ – Fort Myers, FL
- What does your firm do? We are a modern, boutique firm specializing in labor and employment law throughout Florida. GunterFirm handles all employment related legal advice and representation. The Firm represents clients in government investigations, administrative proceedings, arbitration and litigation in both state and federal court. Our clients include all industries and range from plumber to rocket scientist (literally!). Our company clients range from 1000+ employees to small businesses in every industry imaginable.
- How did the firm start and how did it grow? Jason Gunter started GunterFirm in 1999 one year after law school. Prior to law school, Jason was a firefighter in Cape Coral, FL. Jason grew the practice revenues and client base as a sole practitioner by leveraging technology, and investing in the firm website and Internet marketing early. Since 2004, Jason has been Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Labor and Employment Law. In January 2017, GunterFirm moved into a modern industrial law office in the revitalized Downtown Fort Myers River District. The firm has between 2-3 lawyers and uses technology to minimize support staff. GunterFirm continues to be the leaders in the implementation of technology in the Southwest Florida legal community. In 2016, Jason Gunter and his colleague Conor Foley started the Solo and Small Firm Practice Section for the Lee County Bar Association for the purpose of educating solo and small firm practices on how to grow and market their business through the use of technology.
- How did you do things before PracticePanther and how has PracticePanther helped today? GunterFirm is not new to the use of technology and the firm has been paperless for almost 10 years. GunterFirm implemented cloud case management software with Rocket Matter approximately five years ago. Over the last couple of years, the Firm was closely monitoring and testing all of the various cloud case management technology to ensure the firm had the best cloud technology available. During our testing of PracticePanther, we found the platform to be fast and extremely intuitive. PracticePanther has all of the features available from other cloud-based programs plus many features that are either not available or simply work much better. For example, the creation and use of custom intake forms and the workflow automation feature are unique to PracticePanther. The firm uses the Workflow feature for the various types of cases the firm handles – each with its own unique set of tasks or requirements set forth by the court. We also found that the legal billing process to be a huge improvement over the competition. We made the switch for many reasons that are too numerous to go over in detail. The migration and customer service has been excellent. It’s nice to always have live chat with customer service immediately available within Practice Panther.
- What is your favorite thing about PracticePanther? Although the firm just recently made the switch, the speed and simplicity to navigate the software is remarkably better than the competitors’. Also, the number of features and integrations with 3rd parties has been outstanding. Legal billing, creation of invoices, integration with QuickBooks online, easy custom fields throughout, simple tagging features, nice looking calendar that dual sinks with Outlook, customized intake forms that automatically populate client contact/matter fields when completed by the client.
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? Adopt, embrace, and invest in technology early on, and continue to re-visit new technology frequently. If we all continue to transition to the use of modern technology, the legal community will become more efficient and accessible, creating benefits for the firms and the clients.