- Firm Name & Slogan: Dickson Davis Law Firm: Real People. Real Problems. Real Help.
- Location: Greenville, South Carolina
- What does your firm do? Dickson Davis Law Firm is a firm handling personal injury, criminal defense, probate and estate planning, Landlord-Tenant law, Contract law, and Guardian ad Litem for Family Court and Probate Court in the Upstate South Carolina area.
- How did the firm start and how did it grow? I passed the bar in May of 2017. Having fourteen years of experience before becoming an attorney, I decided to work for myself and open my own practice in Greenville, South Carolina.
- How did you do things before PracticePanther and how has PracticePanther helped today? Before Practice Panther, I’ve used proprietary systems and RocketMatter. PracticePanther is much more user friendly and leverages the same information across the board from Microsoft Outlook, QuickBooks, and to any apple or android device.
- What is your favorite thing about PracticePanther? I have no fear of losing my information due to technical difficulties or being landlocked to the office to pull up information. Everything is ready at my fingertips whether in or out of the office. I have the flexibility to work from home or the office as needed depending on my work schedule.
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? For other lawyers in a similar situation as myself from law school, and for other young lawyers thinking about starting your own practice, you need to review your income-to-debt ratio first to determine your eligibility for a business loan when applying for business loans from banks first before you consider opening your own practice.Also, keep in mind that when running your own practice, or thinking of running your own practice, you’ll spend 1/3 of the time doing administrative work, 1/3 of the time doing marketing and networking activities, and 1/3 of the time actually practicing law when running your own practice.Working for yourself is not for everyone, and owning your own business is not for everyone either. Certain personalities are also more suited to starting their own practice and working for themselves instead. Find out where you are in that spectrum to see where you best fit in working for a firm or working for yourself.The key to running a successful practice is largely managing your overhead and keeping your overhead expenses low while starting out. PracticePanther is a great example of a reasonable rate for case management software that supports Gmail or Microsoft 365 beyond the capabilities of a calendar and task function with real CRM functions instead.Technology has leveraged many costs that were quite expensive at one time to be far more reasonable than ever before. Now, having your own practice can have the professional feel of a big firm feel yet be a one-man (woman) army. Gone are the days of the brick-and-mortar approach to running a business, and the same can be said for business phones as well. RingCentral offers phone and fax capabilities at a 1/4 less than big-box phone companies charge other companies for phone lines.
The beauty of working for myself is that I make all of the decisions, and decide which clients to accept. Being a solo-practitioner comes with great freedom. However, with great freedom comes great responsibility.