- Firm Name & Slogan: The Byrnes Law Group, Making the Law Available for You
- Location: Millersville, MD
- What does your firm do? We represent people involved in car accidents, people injured from others’ negligence, divorces, custody disputes, construction payment disputes, Mechanic’s Liens and collections.
- How did the firm start and how did it grow? I started out 18 years ago doing what I’m doing now, and I love it. I in the last month, I came out of the hard-knuckled practice of lead paint cases to be my own boss, enjoy life just a bit more, and to escape the doldrums of the city. I’ve grown through nothing but word of mouth (to this point), and have found it to be remarkably liberating.
- How did you do things before PracticePanther and how has PracticePanther helped today? At my old firm, we used a WordPerfect document as each file’s intake, and made notes in it of calls, etc. It was great, except for the fact that it couldn’t keep track of dates, and your calendar had to be your tickler/diary system. A lot of things had to go right at the same time. And they almost always did, but they always had you double-checking yourself constantly.When I went looking for something to help me organize my workload, the files, and to keep track of critical dates and assignments, and I checked with PracticePanther, I was impressed by how it turned common, but repetitive tasks and the assignment of tasks into automated operations. There is almost certainly more there than I am using, but that’s where the customer service comes in. Their people give great tutorials and are able to answer any questions.
- What is your favorite thing about PracticePanther? PracticePanther is constantly upgraded based upon attorney needs. So it is not a static product. You can make customized intake forms, and if what you need doesn’t exist, they will work to create it. That kind of flexibility is essential for solo practitioners like me.
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? If you aren’t using case management software, you are taking a risk and blowing the one thing you can never get back–time. The goal is to make this software pay for itself with the first case or two. And it can do that if you use PracticePanther, making it do the work for you.