- Firm Name & Slogan: Ben Meek, Attorney at Law
- Location: Oklahoma City
- What does your firm do? I help clients make sense of the many legal issues that arise after a loved one dies and to assist them with seeing that the last wishes of their loved ones are honored or that their family members receive what the law provides. I also help people old and young, families, and businesses to make plans to provide for their families and to pass along their wealth should illness, injury, or death overtake them. I also advise and assist clients with business entity formation and governance, including nonprofits, and advise and represent clients in real estate transactions.
- How did the firm start and how did it grow? I have practiced law for over 30 years, almost always in law firms, but 8 years ago I stepped back from full-time practice to pursue other passions. I’m returning now to build a solo practice in the areas of the law that I enjoy, and I’ve been surprised to re-discover the energy and excitement that I remember from my days as a young associate and the sense of helping people solve their problems, hopefully, bringing some peace into the process for them.
- How did you do things before PracticePanther and how has PracticePanther helped today? As an old dog with set-in-concrete habits of “papering the file” and taking notes on legal pads (that I can’t read later because my handwriting is so bad), storing cabinets full of documents and files, inputting time and kludging together invoices in stand-alone programs, and using calendars that integrate only with email, I am finding that PracticePanther is guiding me towards becoming much more efficient and paperless. Now my notes (typed faster than I can write by hand and instantly tied to a client matter) are now searchable by computer, and PracticePanther even prompts me to log my time. PP integrates with everything I use — digital calendars, email, file storage in the cloud — and pulls all of these through the nexus of time and billing, creating a kind of efficiency that didn’t exist 8 years ago. I’ve only scratched the surface of document automation with PracticePanther, but I can already see how it will help keep my practice competitive and relevant as the worldwide practice of law changes with the times.
- What is your favorite thing about PracticePanther? The interface is very intuitive, easy to understand, pleasant to the eye, and contains all of the functions I use. It is so well designed that it actually helps me rethink the flow of my work in more efficient ways. The data it retains offer me instant reports on receivables, trust accounting, and invoices paid. I’m already loving the automated prompting it offers to remind clients to refresh their retainers or to pay their bills — things I tend to procrastinate. And I love offering a client portal where my clients can see what has been done, what is current, and through which we can securely communicate. The technical support people are first-rate and very attentive, and the staff are eager to understand and anticipate lawyers’ needs. The company has been surprisingly responsive, personal, and interested — fully invested in the success of their software.
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? Now that I’ve made the leap to practice management software, I will be continuing to move away from the clunky and time-consuming document management of paper files and storage cabinets and stand-alone programs for every function. The old ways evolved for good reasons, but that evolution has now taken a giant leap.