- Firm Name & Slogan: Lessing Legal, PLLC
- Location: Southeast Michigan
- What does your firm do? As the proverbial “lawyer for lawyers”, Tim Lessing specializes in being retained by other law firms and lawyers to handle the jury trial when all other attempts at settlement have failed. While it is a common misconception that all lawyers are also “trial lawyers”, a very small percentage of lawyers are true trial lawyers with any significant experience standing in front of a jury. For nearly twenty years, Tim Lessing’s practice has been devoted almost exclusively to trial/litigation practice in both civil and criminal law. With countless trials over the course of his career (nearly every one ending in victory), Mr. Lessing has earned the reputation as a ferocious advocate for his clients at both the trial and appellate levels. He has been repeatedly recognized as a Top 100 Lawyer by the American Society of Legal Advocates and a Top 100 Trial Lawyer by The National Trial Lawyers.Mr. Lessing is also a member of the prestigious American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA). Membership can only be accomplished by an unsolicited invitation initiated by ABOTA, a peer review of trial experience and qualifications, approval of ABOTA members in the State of Michigan, and then approval of ABOTA members at the national level. Out of nearly 45,000 lawyers in the State of Michigan, there are currently less than approximately 150 lawyers who have been accepted as members of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
- How did the firm start and how did it grow? With beginnings as a Judicial Clerk for nearly three years while in law school, I was always drawn to the courtroom. Given my personality, it felt the perfect fit for my talent set. From there, I spent approximately 10 years working as a trial attorney in the insurance defense industry. I then made the leap to my own firm and was a Principal Partner in Freedman, Lessing, Kutinsky & Freedman, P.C. where I focused most of my time on trial work for plaintiff and business cases. During those preceding years, I began to realize I was gaining a reputation as someone who enjoyed standing in front of a jury and making an argument. That process slowly transitioned to the point where a number of lawyers and law firms started reaching out to me to take over for trial when their cases would not settle. Eventually, this became a relatively common practice and I realized I wanted to devote a much more significant portion of my time to this type of work rather than managing a busy litigation department. As such, I officially left my former firm so that I could devote more of my time to this “boutique” concept of a “Trial Attorney for Hire”. The outcome was, frankly, more than I ever would have expected and I’m thrilled to be spending every day doing what I am genuinely passionate about.
- How did you do things before PracticePanther and how has PracticePanther helped today? When I oversaw operations at my previous firm, I always lamented my inability to leverage existing technology in a thoughtful and efficient way. Changing the dogma at an existing firm seems to be a significant barrier to many firms implementing technology solutions and, more importantly, sticking with them.When I decided to begin anew, I spent weeks trying all of the software out there. I tested the patience of the support teams as I pushed the limits of the various software platforms to make sure they would work in a way that integrated with how I work and think.Once I found Practice Panther, I knew I was where I wanted to be. The program is intuitive, forward-thinking, and addresses the things that I care the most about. Support is rapid and efficient. I’m thrilled to have found Practice Panther as a partner.
- What is your favorite thing about PracticePanther? Customer service and agility. I get answers rapidly and Practice Panther is not afraid to listen to its users to develop new items when necessary. Did I mention the customer service?
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? Lose the overhead. The old paradigm is office space, supplies, staff, physical computers, large copiers, servers, etc….Times are changing….get on board. I’ve replaced literally THOUSANDS of dollars worth of overhead and expensive technology by being smart about what I need and how to access it. Just one example…..using an Office365 account with Dropbox literally saves thousands over an email server and document server. Not to mention universal access everywhere and NEVER worrying about backups again. The same is true of Practice Panther….its everywhere…..its cost effective….and it makes zero sense to not use it.