- Firm Name & Slogan: Gafkay Law, PLC – Local General Practice. Statewide Employment Law.
- Location: 175 S. Main Street, Frankenmuth, MI 48734
- What does your firm do? Experienced trial attorneys and legal counselors. Representing:
- victims of personal injury (car accidents, negligence, and slip and falls)
- employees who have been sexually harassed, discriminated against (race, age, sex, disability), retaliated against for whistleblowing
- employers to know legally how to handle employment matters, benefit questions, employment policies
- civil rights lawyers
- local general practice legal matters: Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts, Probate, Corporate formation, business issues
- How did your firm start and how did it grow? Frankenmuth is a small town in Michigan. It seemed like the least likely place to start a civil trial practice repressing primarily victims of employment discrimination and personal injury; especially with the conservative nature of the town. In this day and age, with computers, cell phones, laptops, and tablets, the location matters less than quality of legal services. In fact, one of the first clients of the firm was a doctor who lived in Texas and had worked in Southeast Michigan who had an employment claim against his former employer. The firm grew to representing plaintiffs in employment cases throughout Michigan.
- How did you do things before PracticePanther and how has PracticePanther helped today? Before PracticePanther I was tethered to my mini-MAC (Apple) with an app for billing. I had to be sitting in my chair at work to log time. It was a billing program not designed for lawyers, especially lawyers with a blended hourly and contingency practice. I wanted to record my time on contingency cases, but I didn’t want to bill. I had to come up with a work around to do that with the program. PracticePanther has solved the problems of having to come up with work arounds to fit my practice billing needs. Instead, it offers a program that has already anticipated my needs. There’s options for billing hourly, contingency, and for billing less on different matters.
- What is your favorite thing about PracticePanther? The ease of keeping track of my time.
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? The best approach to your practice should be to be honest and straightforward.