- Firm Name & Slogan: Anne K. Wilson Law Office, PLLC
- Location: Hiawatha, Iowa
- What does your firm do? My practice is a general practice, focusing on real estate, document preparation, title work, closings, and litigation; estate planning and probate administration and litigation; small business planning; taxation; domestic relations; and criminal law.
- How did your firm start and how did it grow? I started in an association of sole practitioners in the town of Marion, Iowa, where I had gone to high school. I started out doing the kind of work general practice attorneys do: real estate, probate and estate planning, family law, criminal law and general litigation. I like the variety and have continued to maintain all of those areas in my practice. After a few years, our association merged with another local firm, and I practiced for another five years. At that time, my practice had grown to the point that I felt a move out on my own was the right move, so I moved into an executive suite in downtown Cedar Rapids, Iowa. About a year ago, my practice was continuing to grow the executive suite management changed and it gave me the opportunity to move to an office in Hiawatha, Iowa.
- How did you do things before PracticePanther and how has PracticePanther helped today? I used another online practice management program, but was dissatisfied with several features, including how to track phone calls, emails, and billing. I’m always looking for ways to improve my efficiency, and PracticePanther has delivered.
- What is your favorite thing about PracticePanther? I have three favorite features: first, is the ability to log a phone call with one move once I’m in my browser. I had asked for that feature request from my prior practice management software company for years, but they never responded. Second, the ability to click on someone’s email address in PracticePanther and being able to immediately send them an email from Outlook. Finally, when I send an email, I can file it into a folder in Outlook, it appears in PracticePanther, and I can easily find that email when I’m working in PracticePanther.
- What is one piece of advice you would offer other lawyers in your industry? Keep up with technology, and how it can make you more efficient.